Insuring Your Snowmobile
Buying Snowmobile insurance can be a relatively easy experience if you take the time to check out the available options.
B.C. residents have few choices for insurance and Capri Insurance has developed an insurance program in partnership with the B.C. Snowmobile Federation to provide their members an affordable option.
Factors that often affect the cost of your insurance are your location, age, experience, driving record, type and cost of the Snowmobile and accessories you own. The Sled Safe Insurance program provides an extremely competitive price to all members that qualify.
For a free, no-obligation quote, call the Capri Insurance OffRoad Vehicle department at 1--888-818-5821. Or click here.
Insure your Snowmobile, ATV, or Dirt Bike with us. Capri Insurance supports organized groups that promote safe and responsible use of Off Road vehicles. Call us for details.
Latest Snowmobile News!
New Online Snowmobile Safety Course now available.
Go to the bcsf website and sign up for this BCSF approved Snowmobile Safety Course. When you complete the course you will qualify for a 10% discount when you apply for Snowmobile Insurance.
Crossing Plowed Forest Service Roads
Forestry Road regulations have been revised to allow a snowmobile to cross a plowed FSR providing the operator has a valid Third Party Liability insurance policy on their snowmobile. The BCSF Optional Off Road liability available through your local club or directly from Capri Insurance meets the requirement set out in the regulations.
Changes to Operation Permit requirements for snowmobiles and snow vehicles in B.C. Quoted from an ICBC bulletin issued on December 21, 2011
"As of January 1, 2012, a police-issued operation permit (MV1815) is not required for snowmobiles and snow vehicles crossing a highway that bisects a trail or resource road at controlled intersections where there is a stop sign or traffic control signal. Operation permits continue to be required for uncontrolled intersections, travel along a highway or right-of-way, and for non-perpendicular highway crossings.
Registration and licensing:
- Snowmobiles used anywhere in BC, including highways, must be registered under the Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act, display a cowl decal, and operators must carry a certificate of Snowmobile Registration (MV1929).
- To be operated on a highway, snowmobiles and snow vehicles must be registered, licensed and insured with ICBC, and operators must carry the Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence (APV 250) and a valid driver’s licence.
- For highway operation, snowmobiles and snow vehicles are licensed with a restricted plate. ............"
For a complete text open, Click Here
More information about snowmobiles and other off-road vehicles can be found at: http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/mof/orv/
Snowmobile Physical Damage Insurance:
Physical damage insurance is designed to protect the vehicle owner from the financial burden created by the loss (or partial loss) of their snowmobile, ATV or dirt bike.
This insurance policy is available to any snowmobile owner who lives in BC. Snowmobiles valued form $2,000 to $30,000 can be insured for Basic Perils (Fire, Theft, and Transport), Comprehensive or All Perils (Collision, upset, comprehensive). The Capri OffRoad program has a variety of discounts for the eligible owner; discounts from 10% to 35% are available.
- Membership in approved organizations. Click here To purchase membership In the BCSF
- Credit for having completed a Safe Operators course
- Ignition Immobilizer
- Multi Units
- Loyalty discount at renewal
Maximum discount of 35% is available To B.C. Snowmobile Federation Members.
We can provide Physical Damage coverage direct to B.C. Snowmobilers at very competitive premiums. We offer three coverage options for the snowmobiler.
- Option 1: All Perils.
- Option 2: Comprehensive
- Option 3: Basic Perils.
To apply for the program download a Snowmobile Physical Damage application form here and fax the completed form to us at 1.888.822.6115 toll free.
A premium quote may be obtained by calling the Capri Insurance OffRoad Department toll free hotline 1.888.818.5821 or Click here To go To the Capri Insurance Quick Quote feature.
The Capri Insurance OffRoad Physical Damage policy is structured to provide you with a replacement value by insuring your brand new unit for the actual purchase price plus taxes. In the event of a total loss of your unit you will receive the insured amount shown on the policy and the deductible of $500 is forgiven. For example when you insure your new sled for $15, 968.50 and then have a total loss anytime during the policy year you will be paid $15, 968.50 to replace your unit.
All Capri Insurance OffRoad Physical Damage polices have as the basis of settlement Agreed value.
As mentioned previously, Agreed Value will be equal to the actual purchase price of your Brand New unit including taxes for the first two years of a policy. In subsequent years the Agreed Value will equal current clean book value plus taxes.
Used units first insured under the Sled Safe Physical Damage policy will have an Agreed value of current clean book value plus taxes.
The Standard Features of the Capri Insurance physical damage policy are:
- Policy is written in plain English on a Lloyd's Of London OFF ROAD RECREATIONAL VEHICLE INSURANCE FORM that was written specifically for Capri Insurance.
- $250.00 for loss of Safety /maintenance kit including cover.
- $1,000.00 loss of miscellaneous personal effects used specifically for riding.
- $2,500.00 loss of a Truck Deck.
- Coverage for use of a temporary substitute unit.
- $500.00 in expenses incurred to transport your unit to a repair facility or to make the unit operational after a loss by an insured peril.
- $1,500.00 for loss of use of the insured unit.
- Business use if the unit is being used for transportation of the registered owner to their place of business; or agricultural, farming and ranching use; or if operated by the registered owner for business purposes.
- $500.00 deductible.
- Online renewal.
- $1,000 Lock re keying limit, with no deductible.
- $5,000 maximum value of a truck deck.
- $2,000 expenses incurred to transport your unit to a repair facility or to make the unit operational after a loss by an insured peril. No deductible applies
- Travel Protection, cost of additional living expenses while away from home (lodging, meals, transportation and phone calls) incurred due to damage to or theft of your Off Road Recreational Vehicle, subject to a maximum of $1,000.
- Temporary Substitute Vehicle: coverage is extended to a substitute unit provided while you are unable to use your unit while it is under repair, Coverage is temporarily transferred to the rental unit, courtesy unit or borrowed unit.
- Your deductible will be waived if you make a "Not at Fault" collision claim under this policy.
- $1,000 for a trailer used to transport the unit
Snowmobile Third Party Liability Insurance:
The Sled Safe liability for personal use of snowmobiles is only available to BC Snowmobile Federation members. Click here to purchase membership in the BCSF and snowmobile liability.
This policy, which is supplied by Intact Insurance through Capri Insurance Services ltd., covers the insured for up to $1,000,000.00 per occurrence. Each insured member has an individual aggregate assigned to them. The cost of the policy is $70.00. That amount covers the annual premium of $59.00 and an $11.00 administration fee that goes to support the BC Snowmobile Federation.
The purchaser benefits from the protection offered by the insurance policy and as a bonus they help fund the delivery of BCSF programs. Don't be fooled by other products out there. This is the only liability insurance program that puts money directly into provincial services for snowmobilers such as access issues and support for local snowmobile clubs.
Applications (available on October 1st each year for the winter season) are available from your local BCSF snowmobile club, at an approved Sub Broker, online at www.bcsf.org, or from the Capri Insurance OffRoad Vehicle website (Click here).
The BC Snowmobile Third party Liability policy benefits are:
- $1,000,000 policy limit
- Each certificate holder has an individual Aggregate policy limit of $5,000,000
- Legal fees are paid in addition to the policy limit.
- Designed for club members only.
- Coverage is portable; the named insured has coverage while operating a non-owned snowmobile.
- Definition of insured includes all family members resident in the insured's household
- Available online.
- Exclusive to BCSF members.
- Backed by the largest provider of home, auto and business insurance in Canada.
- Low $500 property damage deductible.
- Quick and efficient claims service through the Capri Insurance Claims Department.
Note: The BC Snowmobile Third party Liability policy does not provide accident benefits to the owner / operator. The policy only provides protection from Third Party Property Damage and Bodily Injury Claims.
We are the Off Road Vehicle experts. We Ride.
Changing market conditions require that our snowmobile program must constantly evolve to maintain its stability. Please contact Capri Insurance with all of your insurance questions. As the Authorized Insurance Broker for the BC Snowmobile Federation, Capri Insurance is the only authority when it comes to answering Sled Safe insurance related questions. Call us toll free and we will be pleased to answer all your questions.
To apply for the program download an application form and fax the completed form to us at 1.888.822.6115 toll free.
A premium quote may also be obtained by calling the toll free hotline 1.888.818.5821 using the online Quick Quote feature.
Replacement value is addressed under this program by offering Agreed Value for your sled. It is important to note that third party liability is only available as a separate policy and is not part of the Physical Damage policy offered by Capri Insurance.
To apply for any of the Off Road vehicle insurance products including Snowmobile, ATV or Dirt Bike polices, or to inquire further please call 1.888.818.5821, email us at email@example.com, visit one of our Capri offices, (click for locations)
Or visit an authorized Sub Broker from the list below:
Prince George: Porter and McMillan Insurance (3 locations): Downtown 901 Victoria St 250 563 9217, College Heights 150-5212 Domano Blvd. 250 964 4400, Hart Mall 3839 West Austin Rd. 250 962 9217
Quesnel: Integris Insurance 253 Reid Street, V2J 2M1 Ph:250 992 5559
Vanderhoof: Integris Insurance 186 West Columbia Street, Ph: 250 570 4720